If there’s one thing that successful people have in common, it’s that they are early risers. From GM’s CEO Dan Akerson to Tyler Perry Studios head honcho, Tyler Perry, it’s 5 a.m. or earlier! And you’d be amazed at what you can do before 9 a.m.
It’s not just a habit for them. They have people to see, places to go, planes to catch and video calls to make. But before those things even happen, they have an agenda that includes these things.
1. Plan the day. It’s a pretty quiet time for most executives, so it presents the perfect opportunity to go over scheduled appointments, make a things-to-do list and map out the day. It’s not all business, though. The daily planner should include breaks to eat and even snack, as well as breaks to reflect on that last meeting before jumping into the next thing.
2. Exercise. Get the blood flowing. And again, it’s generally quiet enough around you to be able to complete a regime without interruption. It is healthy mentally, too, as it gives you a sense of accomplishment to start your day. An of course it wakes up your mind. Don’t wait until later to exercise – your schedule may change or you may just be too tired at the end of the day to do it.
3. Eat. And eat well. An empty stomach can be distracting and it’s certainly not healthy. Make sure that you choose foods that will provide energy and nutrients, such as oatmeal, fruit and even eggs (protein). And if you are a family person, it also provides the op for you to have a short conversation with your loved ones and stay connected to them.
4. Visualize. Put your imagination to work and let it see what the day ahead looks like. Early morning is the perfect time for meditation and prayer. Focus on the things that need to get done and give yourself a pep talk. Start your day with a positive outlook.
5. Save the best for last. That’s right. Do the toughest task first. Get it done while your energy is high and your focus is tight. Get it out of the way. Think about the fact that your day will run smoother once that daunting take is out of the way. Follow these simple rules and the road to success will become smoother.